Sunday, August 21, 2011

Supper at the Dining Hall

It's Sunday, the Lord's Day, so I thought I'd take a day of rest from blogging and just post this picture of an enormous reproduction of da Vinci's "The Last Supper," which is painted high up on one of the walls in the dining hall where my son will be eating his meals from now on. This dining hall is so amazing--so enormous and Gothically beautiful (in fact, rumor has it that it was the inspiration for the dining hall at Hogwart's in the "Harry Potter" movies); you really have to see it to believe it. The food served there is equally amazing. I don't care what you're in the mood for--Italian, Chinese, Mexican, designer sandwiches and omelettes, pizza, stir-fry, homestyle chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy, or just about any other kind of food item you can imagine (and soft serve ice cream to top it all off after every meal)--they have it! In abundance! And it's all-you-can-eat! If I was a college freshman at this place, I think I'd pack on about 20 pounds by the time I went home for my mid-semester break!

But how wonderful it is to know that when my son has his supper at the dining hall, this beautiful symbol of his Catholic Faith hangs there on the wall! It's a reminder that although this university has all the bells and whistles that make it a sort of Heaven on earth (including the best dining hall food imaginable), that's not the thing that makes it great. What makes this Catholic university great is that it is a place where the Faith is in evidence everywhere you look, a place where my son's personal faith can flourish.

(This was longer than I intended. I guess I didn't really take that day of rest, did I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment