Friday, September 23, 2011

Perfect Babies

It's 9:30 p.m. out here in the Midwest (10:30 back at home), and I'm just now sitting down to do a quick blog post before I go to bed. I'm a bit off my usual daily routine of getting up in the morning, fixing my little pot of coffee, and going down to my basement "office" to sit at my computer and blog. That's because I'm here with my daughter-in-law and my twin baby granddaughters, and guess what? When there are babies in the house, you go by their schedule, not yours! Even though they're the tiniest humans on the premisis, they are definitely in charge. But when the babies are as plump and cute and edible as these babies are, you don't mind that in the least. And my granddaughters are perfect, just so you know. You don't have to take my word for it, though (if you think I'm just being an overly proud grandma); that's exactly what the pediatrician called them today at their four month check-up: perfect. The above picture of my husband with our five sons was taken in 1993, after the kindergarten graduation of our middle son (he's the one on the left holding the red tassle from his graduation cap). You're probably wondering why I chose this photo today when it seems a picture of my granddaugthers would be more fitting, as long as I'm talking about them. You're probably thinking that I just wanted some excuse to post yet another adorable picture of my boys in their childhood days. Okay, that's true, but that's only part of the reason. I also think my husband looks like quite the heartthrob here, so that has something to do with it, too. But the main reason is that when I look at the babe in arms in this photo--my #5 son at about six months old, in the big, strong arms of his daddy--I am so reminded of the twins. This is how the girls often look these days, when they're being held and they drop off to sleep with their arms flopping out to the side. (When their maternal grandpa sees one of the girls in this position, he'll call her "Flopsy.") They love to be held and snuggled, just like my boys did; and like my boys, too, they love it best when the person who's holding them is standing up. They will sometimes fuss when you try to sit down with them to give the old arms a rest, and then are content again as soon as you stand back up. I guess babies just like to keep us big people on our toes.

Hopefully, the twins will sleep okay tonight. They got their four month shots today--:(--and that was a little rough for them. Their appointment went well, though. These little girls are absolutely thriving. Bonny Babe is now 17 lbs. 10 oz. and Cutie Pie is 15 lbs. 14 oz.--that places them in the 90th percentile and above for both height and weight! The doctor was totally pleased with their growth and development. Like I told you before: they're perfect. And this photo reminds me of another baby (or actually, of five other babies) that I remember being perfect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment