Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chubby and Jet-Lagged, with My Nose in a Book

Well, I'm being a lazybones today, which explains why I'm blogging about three hours later than usual. I guess I'm still recovering from my trip to Amsterdam. I don't know how my husband handles his schedule, because one trip wipes me out. And he's due to take off for a three-day trip to Dublin tomorrow!

We already looked to see if there were enough seats for me to go along, since I'm now a seasoned world traveler (ha ha!) and Ireland is definitely one country I've always been interested in visiting. But the plane is too full, so I'm staying behind for this one. That's probably for the best anyway. If I keep going to work with my husband, I'm not only going to be bone-tired all the time, but I'm going to be as fat as a stuffed goose, too. I gained four pounds on the Amsterdam trip, mostly from eating the awesome business class cuisine. I have trouble saying no to anything that's offered--one, because it's free; and two, because eating keeps me happily occupied during the flight, which helps me to forget where I am. I never eat five-course meals at home, but I sure do on flights (warmed mixed nuts to start, followed by an appetizer and soup, then salad, the main course, and dessert!), and then I eat the second meal they bring around about an hour before landing, too--even though I'm rarely even hungry after the first enormous meal. I love accompanying my husband to work, but it's turning me into a glutton. So I've made a resolution for the next time: no overeating on the airplane! No matter how good it all looks, I need to say no every now and then! (But I think I'll still accept those pre-flight, nerve-calming glasses of champagne--for medicinal purposes only!)

Inspired by our trip to the Anne Frank House on Saturday, I've been devouring The Diary of a Young Girl. I can't seem to put it down. I still can't believe that we got to go inside the building in which Anne wrote her diary; we saw her actual diary, with its red plaid cover, under a glass case--as well as many other loose pages filled with her handwriting; we walked past the bookcase that hid the entrance to the "Secret Annexe" and through the rooms that were occupied by Anne's family and four others. That visit to 263 Prinsengracht in Amsterdam was a tremendously moving experience, and it makes the words I'm reading now truly come to life for me. I definitely want to write more about that tour of the Anne Frank House, but it's going to require more energy than I have at the moment and I want to do the subject justice. So for now, I'm posting two pictures that I took on our canal tour through the city.Isn't Amsterdam beautiful? I have lots more pictures, and you'll probably be seeing some of those in the coming days.

1 comment:

  1. Georgeous! I am jealous... do you think I can go sometime?? LOL

    ReplyDelete