Monday, January 9, 2012

"Runned Over Cake"

Here is a recipe for a delicious, chocolatey Bundt cake that turns out great every time, gets moister as the days go by (that is, if your family doesn't eat the whole thing the day you bake it), and is super easy to make. It probably has a normal name; but in our family we call it "Runned Over Cake," because that's what the gal who gave me the recipe called it.

As you might guess, there's a story behind that unusual name. Apparently, my friend and her family were at a football tailgater, and someone had brought this cake. Somehow (the details on this are a bit fuzzy, but stay with me here) the cake was left on the ground and forgotten, and a car backed over it. Everyone was bummed out that the cake had been ruined; but when they looked at it they realized that only half of it had been, as the kids at the party put it, "runned over," and the other half was in good shape--so they decided to go ahead and eat the good half! Good call, I think. It would have been a shame to waste a perfectly good half of this scrumptious Bundt cake!

Ingredients for Runned Over Cake:
1 chocolate cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
1 sm. pkg. instant chocolate pudding (Wait a minute...wouldn't using a pudding-in-the-mix cake mix save this step? I don't know; but I'm a rule follower and I do what I'm told, and the recipe says to do it this way.)
1 c. sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. milk
6 oz. chocolate chips

Okay, now mix all of these ingredients, folding in the chocolate chips last, and spoon the batter (it will be thick) into a greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 min. (The cake should bounce back lightly when done.) Cool.

You can lightly dust your cake with powdered sugar, or you can top it off with a frosting glaze. To achieve the effect in the photo above, I put my cooled cake in the freezer for a little bit, then I warmed up some chocolate icing in the microwave so it would pour easily--and because the cake was cold, the warmed icing solidified before it had a chance to run down the sides and pool onto the dish.

This is a great cake to serve when you're having company, because it not only tastes great, but it looks pretty, too. At Christmas time, I put red and green sprinkles on the icing before it hardens.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm that sounds so wonderful. I may have to make one and bring it to school to impress my teacher friends!

    ReplyDelete