Saturday, March 31, 2012

Decorating for Easter

Well, I'm a little late getting to it, but I've finally put out some Easter decorations. My husband and I have been on the road so much in the past few months that I've been kind of neglecting my house. Time got away from me--and now Easter is going to be here before we know it. I can't believe that tomorrow is Palm Sunday!

I love this little Easter vignette on my dining room table. Those are fake lilies in my antique transferware pitcher (I have the blackest thumb in the universe, and if they were real, they'd be dead by Easter), but I think they're very pretty all the same. Hey, lots of things in my house are fake. Take, for instance, my kitchen countertops. I wanted new granite ones, so I gave my old, worn-out laminate ones a faux finish and achieved the same look (well, not quite, but close enough) for the cost of a few cans of paint and some varnish. Fake is absolutely okay with me--especially when it comes to plants.

The sweet little vintage-style chick and bunny figurines--as well as the pitcher, which was once upon a time part of a matching bowl and pitcher set--all came from a quaint little shop in our town's old-fashioned downtown area. I've spoken of this shop, called "Just the Thing," before in this blog. I love its haphazardly arranged mix of antiques and unique gift items. I like to go in there just to poke around; however, this can be a bit dangerous, as they do always seem to have just the thing that I didn't even know I needed until I find it there. Like that chick and that bunny: I didn't know I needed them, but I definitely did.

If you look closely at the picture above, you'll see a black and white photograph of my beautiful late mother-in-law hanging on the wall, in the background on the right. I think of her often, but especially at Easter time. She passed away three years ago on Holy Saturday, God rest her soul. Mom loved holidays, and holiday decorating, and setting a holiday table...and holidays haven't been quite the same since she left us.

I hope you are enjoying making your house pretty in preparation for the joy of Easter Sunday. And if your Easter lilies are genuine, and they're thriving, then I must tell you that I admire your green thumb. My mother-in-law had one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment