Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Big Fat Greek Trip

Well, it looks like I'm going to Athens with my husband. There appear to be plenty of seats, in business class (huzzah!) as well as in coach (fingers crossed that I don't end up there), both on the flight over today and on the flight back on Friday. The only kicker is that there aren't daily flights out of Athens to the U.S. on my husband's airline; so if for some unforeseen reason I get bumped on Friday, I won't have another chance to get back to the States until Sunday. And my hubby is the guy flying the plane out of there on Friday, so he will have to leave--with or without me.

Which would leave me alone... in Athens...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

I'm going to do it, I'm going to fly to Greece; but I'm a bit nervous about the trip. It's bad enough that I'm a white knuckle-flyer; but I've seen the movie "Taken," and I know just what happens when naive Americans are let loose in European cities. Of course, I'm not a silly, hard-partyin' teenage girl; and I wouldn't in a million years get into a car with a stranger--whether on foreign soil or American soil. So I guess I can rest easy that the fate of Liam Neeson's movie daughter doesn't await me, even if I end up having to spend some extra time by myself in Athens. ("Taken" is a great movie, by the way, if you really love an edge-of-your-seat, action-packed thriller--and Liam Neeson is excellent in it; however, I warn you that if you watch it, you probably won't ever let your college-aged daughters study abroad.)

I'm good to go today, because I have a fresh new passport, which I had to renew recently. My old one sat unused for almost ten years, and then I squeezed in two trips--to Nice in December 2011 and to Amsterdam in January 2012--before it expired. I have more than 50 clean new pages now, just waiting to be stamped with the names of exotic locales. What a great way to inaugurate my new passport: with a Big Fat Greek Trip to Athens. There's another wonderful movie for you: "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." It's so funny and heart-warming (and so much less scary than "Taken"). I love it when the overprotective paterfamilias cries, "Why you want to leeeeave me?"--just because his grown daughter informs him that she's going to take some time off from working at the family restaurant to take a few courses at a local college. I use that line all the time on my boys, whenever they leave me to go off to college or other faraway places. (I'm going to use it on my husband, too, if he has to leave me behind in Athens!)

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is such a classic romantic comedy. If you haven't seen it yet, you've missed out on a good one.

Anyhoo--I'm planning to take along my laptop on this trip, so hopefully I'll be blogging from Greece.

I'm going to be blogging from Greece....AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!*

(*The earlier scream was one of terror; this is one of excitement. Were you able to tell the difference?)

1 comment:

  1. Arrghhh... I am so jealous! Have fun! I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete