Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lost in the World of Technology

I wasn't sure if I was going to blog today, because between the time I blogged yesterday morning and the time I opened up my laptop to blog today (just a little over 24 hours later), I was horrified to realize that eBlogger had completely changed everything on me.  How dare they!  Just when I was getting comfortable with the blogging process and could practically do it in my sleep, nothing on my screen looked the same anymore, and I felt utterly clueless.  Before our second oldest son gave us a TomTom GPS thingamajig for Christmas a few years back, I was always getting lost going places in my car.  Now, I found that I was lost on my eBlogger dashboard page (the page where you compose your posts and then push a button to publish them), after that page had finally become as comfortable and familiar to me as an old friend--or a stretch of road I'd gone down so many times I could turn off my TomTom.

(It's a little hard to read, but the cartoon says, "I want a computer that does what I want it to do, not what I tell it to do.")

While I would like to stay mad at the technology wizards who are working at eBlogger to make sure that their programs and services are as up-to-the-minute and jazzy as they can be, I suppose I really can't.  After all, they offer eBlogger services for free.  So I forgive you, eBlogger.  I do realize that the problem really lies with me.  I've got to learn how to navigate this crazy 21st century world of technology without always relying on my husband to save me from myself.  (I'm really more of a typewriter and White-Out kind of gal.)

It took my husband (who, in case you haven't heard me say it yet, is my HERO) a couple of hours to diagnose my latest damsel-in-distress computer problem and fix it.  Words like "upgrades" and "browser" had something to do with it; and now, instead of logging onto the internet like I've been doing ever since I started "String of Pearls" back in March of 2011, there is a totally new icon on which I must click if I want to get to my blogger dashboard.  Phew!  Problem solved.  For now, anyway.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: I do not like change!  I like things to stay just the way they are, especially when it comes to technology that I've finally figured out how to use!  And it's silly to admit...but I didn't like the bummed-out feeling I got when I thought I wasn't going to be able to figure out how to blog anymore!

2 comments: