Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sightseeing

My mom, my sister and I were on the road all day yesterday (for about 11 and 1/2 hours), on our way down south to Chincoteague Island, VA, where my late aunt made her home for the past ten years.  We saw one extremely awesome sight along the way.  It was...well, I think I'll just show you a picture, because there aren't enough words to describe the beauty of it.
This, my friends, is my dream car.  I want this car!  (I like the truck in front of it, too.)

Actually, I believe that's a giant cup of Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee on there, and I really prefer hot coffee.  But otherwise, I would get that set of wheels in a heartbeat.  I would.

We arrived last night about 8:00 p.m. and got settled into our lovely, cozy hotel.  As we were carrying our suitcases from the car towards the building, we were thrilled to see another amazing sight (even better than the Dunkin' Donuts Coffeemobile): ponies inside a fenced-in area right next to the parking lot, three adults and two young'uns.  It turns out that Chincoteague is world-renowned for the wild ponies that roam free on the island--and we have some of them right here at our hotel!
This morning, my sister and I bought corn kernels from a little dispensing machine by the fence and hand-fed the ponies (although the sign said we shouldn't--but what fun would it be to just set the corn down in the trough?).  The hotel ponies are obviously not as wild as the ones that run along the beaches; they appear to be more petting zoo speed.  But we fell in love with them!  These ponies are my dream pets!  I want these ponies!


Chincoteague Island is a tiny paradise less than two miles wide by eight miles long, at once super-touristy and charmingly quaint.  There are birds everywhere, and every time we drive down the main drag, we have to stop to let little parades of Canada geese cross the road. It's too bad that the reason for our trip here is such a sad one (to clean out my late aunt's house and get her affairs in order); because otherwise, this place is a little slice of heaven that would make the most idyllic vacation spot you can imagine.

Oh the sights you can see, just traveling down the East Coast of the U.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment