Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Good Morning, Coffee Achievers!

I got up at 6:00 a.m. all on my own today, 45 minutes before my personal assistant, Siri, had promised to jolt me awake with the loudest, most annoying sound I've ever heard in my life.  Let's just say that even if I'm in a coma-like sleep, my iPhone alarm always does the trick.

I should have stayed in bed and caught a few more Z's, but I was so excited to blog at my new bird's eye maple writing desk (Did you see it in yesterday's post?  Is it beautiful, or what?) that I popped out of bed and went down to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee.  And now here I am, all settled in with a cup of Sul de Minas, one of the two new types of coffee that I received recently in my second "Coffee of the Month" Club shipment from Amazing Clubs.  My middle son gave me what Cousin Eddie would call a "gift that keeps on giving" when he enrolled me in this club as a Mother's Day gift, and I'm really enjoying it.

Sul de Minas is a Brazilian coffee.  As the Amazing Clubs brochure touts, this brew is "high in antioxidants, naturally low in caffeine, and has mild acidity.  The roast is a rich Vienna shade and offers good body and smooth, sweet flavor with a crystal clear finish."  Okay, let me give it to you in layman's terms: this coffee is delicious.  I'm not enough of a connoisseur to be able to pick out things like "body" and "crystal clear finishes," but it's smooth and tasty and if you like coffee as much as I do, chances are you wouldn't turn down a cup of this liquid nirvana.  You'd probably like the other flavor I got in this shipment, Triple Pick Sumatra, too.  That one is an arabica blend from Indonesia that is "pungent with a spicy flavor...full bodied and rich."  The acidity level is low, but the aroma is "bold and intense."

Okay, you may have noticed I really, really like coffee.  I need coffee.  If I go a day without it, I'll get a mild headache by day two, so I guess that means I'm somewhat addicted to the caffeine.  But I'm not one of those people who is so miserable before she has her first cup in the morning that you better watch out or I'll bite your head off.  Like this gal, for instance.
But I am a coffee achiever.

Recently, I read that drinking beer makes people more creative and better at solving problems.  Well, drinking coffee supposedly makes people higher achievers.  Do you remember those T.V. commercials from the 80's, where rock stars and other celebrities (the kind of folks who would never, ever lie) proclaimed that coffee drinkers (or coffee achievers, as they called them) were the movers and shakers of the world?  I considered myself a coffee achiever then, and I consider myself one now--even though I'm not really sure what that means.  But maybe drinking coffee really does make people achieve more. Anything's possible, right?  Coffee (and the caffeine associated with it) used to get a bad rap, but these days they say it has some major health benefits.  So I say drink as much coffee as you like!  That's what I'm going to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment