Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Attention, Walmart Shoppers!

I have a shameful little secret to admit, and I don't dare say this too loudly:  I like shopping at Walmart.

Okay, there.  I've said it.  Now don't judge me.

The impression I get from most people I talk to these days is that it's much more fashionable to shop at Target than it is to shop at Walmart.  Personally, I don't see what's so superior about Target (or "Tar-zhay," as zey call eet).  I can almost never find any clothes that I like over there, but I'm always finding stuff at Walmart.  When my five sons were growing up, my favorite clothing brand in the world was Walmart's "Faded Glory" (much to their chagrin, I might add).  You couldn't beat those Faded Glory jeans, which I found to be very high in quality while very low in price.  It was a sad day when I couldn't convince my label-conscious teenage boys to wear them anymore and had to start shopping for jeans at Old Navy.

It's hard to beat Walmart for one-stop shopping, either.  Whatever you need (or think you need), you can find it there.  Target has almost everything you could possibly need, too, that's true; but I don't believe they sell fabric, for one thing.  And I'm not sure about crafting items either.  (Target shoppers, let me know if I'm wrong about that, and I promise to issue a retraction, along with an apology.)

Walmart gets a lot of negative press for being a big, bad superstore--as if it's Fox Books and every other store is The Shop Around the Corner.  (Please tell me you got that movie reference; and if not, you must find "You've Got Mail" on Netflix or Vudu or in the $5 DVD bin at Walmart, and watch it--stat!)  And as if that's not enough of a reason to hate it, Walmart doesn't have that Target-like style, cache, and social acceptability.  There are YouTube videos that make fun of the "People of Walmart" and the way they dress, but I have yet to see the people who routinely shop at Target made the butt of on-line jokes.

That's okay, though.  I'm going to keep on being a Walmart shopper--even if that makes me a social outcast.  And I think I'll be able to get my twin granddaughters to go on shopping trips to Walmart with their grammy.  After all, it's not as if they're completely enamored of Target.  Just look at this picture I snapped of the girls during a family Target outing when I was visiting them in Colorado a few weeks ago.
They don't look all that impressed by their surroundings, do they?  Not that they'd have been any more thrilled if we'd been strolling them through Walmart...but I'm just sayin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment