Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Sweet Reminder of Home in Barcelona

I'm in a WiFi hot spot at a rest area in VT--so I thought I'd take advantage of the free Internet and spend a few minutes blogging.  It not only breaks up my 4 and 1/2-hour trip, but it also ensures that I'll be able to post something today.  I'm en route to Upstate NY, where I plan to spend a few days with my mom and dad while my husband is out of town.  This morning, he left to fly a trip to London (and yes--he just flew a plane back from Barcelona yesterday, and had only one night's sleep in his own bed, before turning around and heading back to the airport!  A pilot's life is exhausting!), so I decided to take a drive up to see my parents. If I remember correctly, their Internet password is so complex that even they don't remember it, and you'd have to be an expert computer hacker to get on their system.  This may be my last post until Wednesday!

After this rest stop, it's over 70 miles to the next one.  And after having a few cups of coffee at home this morning, and then picking up a large Dunkin' Donuts "road coffee" two hours ago, it was imperative that I stopped now--if you get my drift.

Speaking of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, I was so amused to see that they even have it in Barcelona.

I haven't been to very many places in Europe yet, especially compared to my globe-trotting husband.  But so far I've been to Nice (and Monte Carlo in Monaco), Amsterdam, Athens, and now Barcelona, and in every single one of these cities--even hoity-toity Monte Carlo!--I've been able to find a McDonald's.  (And often a Subway or a KFC as well.)  But this is the first time I've ever seen a Dunkin' Donuts!

You'll be proud of me, though.  I didn't get a coffee at this "Dunkin' Coffee."  I tried to stick to local-style cafe au lait instead.  But I was still tickled to see this sign, which was a sweet reminder of my New England home.

The other thing I've found in every European city I've visited is an Irish pub.  As we walked around Barcelona, I counted 3 or 4 of them.  But more about that tomorrow.  I must get back on the road now--I've got 2 and 1/2 hours left in the car, and I want to arrive at my folks' while it's still light out.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny - the bar that my friends and I used to patronize during our semester in Italy was also an Irish pub. Enjoy your time in NY!!

    ReplyDelete