Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When It Rains, It Pours!

Okay, in yesterday's post I told you I'd been tagged/nominated by a blogger friend named Erica over at Boys, Books, and Balls for "Five Things" and a Liebster Award (I'm not really sure what that's all about, but it was fun coming up with answers to the questions she sent me).  I, in turn, was asked to tag/nominate five other bloggers, and one of my choices was Maggie over at Regency Catholic.  Well, Maggie turned around and tagged me back!  So I'm not really sure what the protocol is here, and whether or not you're allowed to participate in a round 2 of the process.  But I liked Maggie's 10 questions so much that I thought I'd answer them today, even though I just answered Erica's questions in yesterday's post.  (I hope I don't have to tag/nominated anyone new this time around, because I don't think I have enough blogging friends--ones who haven't been tagged/nominated already--to do that!)

As for the whole "Five Things" you might not know about me...hmmmm.  Let's see.  (Are you getting sick of me yet?)   1. I'm allergic to dust and bees and I take allergy shots.  2. I can't eat pineapple--it literally makes me gag.  3. I'm afraid of snakes and frogs (this was a real handicap for a mother who raised five boys).  4. My favorite part of Christmas when I was growing up was opening my stocking--which was the first thing I saw when I woke up because since we didn't have a fireplace, Santa left it at the end of my bed!  5. I often cry when I Confess my sins to the priest.

Here are Maggie's awesome questions.

1.  What's your favorite novel?  This is a tough one, because there are five or six that I absolutely love; but because it was the first book that inspired me to want to be a writer, I have to choose To Kill a Mockingbird.  (How thrilled I was when Harper Lee was given an honorary degree at my oldest son's Notre Dame graduation in 2006!)

 2. Do you sometimes catch yourself doing things that would fall under the category of O.C.D., and if so, what is your most frequent?  Yes!  My husband and I will be an hour into a car trip, and I'll suddenly feel convinced that I forgot to turn off my coffee maker.  I've actually called our neighbor and told him where to find our fake rock "hide-a-key" thingy so he could go in and double-check for me.  You'd think after a couple of incidents like this, I'd just go ahead and purchase a coffee maker with an automatic shut-off feature!  (I really have to do that.)  I recently found out that someone I know takes a cell phone photo of her curling iron whenever she leaves home, so she can look at the picture and know for sure that she didn't forget to turn it off.  (I may have to do that, too.)

3. If you could go back in time and be one person, who would it be and why?  I've often thought it would be awesome to be Dismas, the "good thief," because he heard from the very lips of Christ that he would be joining Him in Paradise that very day.  But I really don't think I'd want to be anyone else.  I wouldn't mind being me in high school again, back when I first started falling in love with my husband (at 15).  I also wouldn't mind going back to the days when I was a young mother and my sons were small--but not for long, because I'd miss the men they've become too much.

4. If you could go back in time and talk to one United States president, who would it be, why, and what would you say?  I would love to have a conversation with Ronald Reagan, who I believe was an exceptional leader and a man to be admired.  (Peggy Noonan's When Character Was King is a great book, if you'd like to learn more about him.)  I would tell him we sure do miss him now around these parts.

5. What goes on your tacos on taco night?  Love taco night!  I like soft shells best, and ground pork instead of ground beef, topped with taco sauce (medium), lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, and sometimes sour cream.

6. Worst movie ever, and why?  I've suffered through some bad movies in my day, but the one that sticks out is "MacGruber," a comedy based on a series of extremely silly SNL skits (poking fun at the TV show "MacGiver") that made my family laugh out loud.  My husband and I went to the theater with our oldest son, his wife, and a couple of our younger sons to see the movie adaptation of those skits, starring Will Forte and Kristin Wiig.  It was so bad--so crude and vulgar and filled with embarrassing levels of inappropriateness--that we actually walked out not long after it started.  I give it two enthusiastic thumbs DOWN.  (Hey, I just realized that since I never saw the whole thing, I have no right to rate the quality of that movie...)

7. Type of person you are afraid to talk to.  Right now, I think it would be the talented and successful writers/authors/bloggers I've "met" on-line in the process of trying to market my novel Finding Grace.  I have had the most lovely e-mail, Facebook, and blogging "conversations" with a host of these writers who have been so incredibly kind to me, have offered to write reviews of my book, and have posted my title on their websites.  Some of them seem like friends, even though we've never met.  I fear that if I actually met them in person and tried to talk to them, they would discover that I'm not all that interesting!  I am so in awe of their work in the world of writing, I fear I would just spend my time with them wondering why in the world they would want to talk to little old me!

8. You are going out to dinner at a relatively nice restaurant, when you get dressed, what adds panache to your derring-do?  I don't do "panache" all that well.  But when I want to look more dressed up, I usually add a pearl necklace and earrings.

9. How many times a month does pizza night occur at your house?  When our boys lived at home, four or five.  (That was our go-to meatless Friday night dinner throughout the year.)  Now that my husband and I are empty-nesters, we might get it once a month.

10. What's your favorite devotion?  The Rosary.

Thanks, Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment