Thursday, May 9, 2013

Theme Thursday: Mom

I know, I just did a "Theme Thursday" post two days ago; but I was really LATE for that one, and I'm right on time today!  So I'm linking up with Cari and the gang over at Clan Donaldson for this week's picture sharing party.  The theme?  MOM!  How perfect, with Mother's Day just around the corner.

I absolutely love vintage photographs--black and white head shots from the 40's and 50's especially.  They have a glamour about them that seems to be missing from our modern color photographs.  Whenever I look at pictures of my parents and my mother- and father-in-law from that time period, I think, "Did everyone look like a movie star back then?"

As a for instance, here is a gorgeous picture of my mother when she was no more than 20.
Of course, she was a beautiful woman to begin with, so it wasn't just the professional magic of a 50's portrait studio that made her look so movie star-esque (I mean, check out those cheekbones!).  But isn't she something?

Most of the pictures of my mother from her youth are in black and white, but here's a rare color snapshot.  She was a fresh-faced twenty-something here, a busy young mom without a speck of make-up on her extraordinary face.  This is my father's favorite picture of her.
My mother got married at 20 and had five children by the age of 27.  Here she is, looking like a Hollywood starlet, surrounded by her brood.
We must have been a handful, but she was still smiling, still looking as glamorous as ever.

With her high, sculpted cheekbones, sparkling brown eyes, and mega-watt smile, I think my mother could have been a movie star--or a model.  But she wanted to be a mom, and I'm so glad she did.

For more photography celebrating moms, head on over to Cari's.

22 comments:

  1. Wow. Your mom is gorgeous. I can't figure out which one is my favorite. They all reveal different faucets of her beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cari. I'm going to show her your comment (I'm staying with her and my dad right now)--she'll be tickled. She still looks wonderful at almost 80, but she doesn't believe it!

      My only beef with my mother is that she didn't pass on those cheekbones to me. (I'm not sure I even have any bones underneath all the cheek fat!)

      Delete
  2. She is beautiful! I love those cheekbones! What a blessing to have a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Talk about a mega-watt smile. Just beautiful, all the pictures. Just the portrait of what happy young motherhood looks like (if we all had perfect cheek bones!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I have a photo or two with my boys that illustrate happy young motherhood--but definitely minus the cheekbones! :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely collection pictures!
    Have a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow she is so glamorous! Just classic. I love the third picture with your mom and her brood. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too--and I think she looked amazing, after having five kids in six years!

      Delete
  6. So so beautiful! I too love old photos, and these just capture your mom in a lot of wonderful ways.

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to see my beautiful mom...and Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

      Delete
  7. I love the one with her and her kids...she looks so happy and yet, we know how hard it is, how hard life is with lots of kids, how easy she makes it look in one picture! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture is the only one she ever had taken of just her with us kids, and I think it's such a classic. My dad loves that one, too.

      Delete
  8. She is so beautiful! All of the pictures are great, but in the last one especially you can see the joy she has in the gift of her motherhood, a joy she clearly shared with her beautiful children. Say hi to her for me! She sounds like such a lovely person. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, and I will. I always look forward to hearing from my one of my favorite blogging friends! (Happy Mother's Day to your mom!)

      Delete
  9. Your mom is breathtakingly beautiful! Lovely shots. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mother is beautiful! She looks so sophisticated in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I can see why your dad would love that one. They are all wonderful, but there is something precious about that snapshot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom is gorgeous!! I just LOVE looking at old photos of my mom....they tell such a story, don't they?? Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my mom is reading all these wonderful comments!

      And I agree, those old photos do tell such a story. I never get tired of looking at family photos. :)

      Delete