Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Make that what I'll be reading Thursday. (Potato, po-tah-to.)  I'm not reading anything today, because I've got a lot of housework and packing to do before I get up well before the crack of dawn tomorrow morning and head off to the airport.  I'm flying down to VA again to attend another wedding shower for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, who is marrying my #3 son in December.

While I'm very excited about going to the shower and seeing the kids, I'm feeling a little bit apprehensive about the flights.  I've made great strides in my efforts to conquer my lifelong fear of flying, and had convinced myself that I was basically "cured"; but the last time I flew down to VA (just a couple of weeks ago), I was feeling the old nervousness again.  Even on the best of days, I need a good book to take my mind off the fact that I'm WAY UP HIGH IN THE SKY, RIDING IN A GIGANTIC TUBE OF METAL. And I'm feeling a tad nervous already about tomorrow, so I'm planning to bring along a brand new book that I haven't even cracked open yet and know nothing about.  Hopefully, it will be so engrossing that we'll be landing before I realize we've even taken off.

So I'm joining Jessica today for the Wednesday link-up, but I'm sharing the title of the book I'm hoping will help me get through my trip tomorrow.
I just love that vintage graphic.  It makes me want to participate, so fortunately I love to read.

Okay, here's what I'm going to pack in my carry-on bag (not the coffee, silly--just the book):

The author of this novel (who also goes by the pen name Mary Jane Hathaway) was kind enough to send me a requested copy of her novel All the Blue of Heaven so that I could review it for CatholicFiction.net.  I chose to read and review this book because it is categorized as a romance novel, which is a genre I normally avoid.  I don't enjoy Danielle Steele-style fiction; I read one of that author's books years and years ago and swore I'd never make the same mistake again.  Even as a silly head-in-the-clouds teenager, I couldn't stomach Harlequin romances.  But I thought it might be good to read something that is a bit of a departure for me, just to keep things interesting--and I have a feeling that this book might surprise me. Carmichael's novel is actually a Catholic romance, and I can't help but believe that therefore it will be different (and oodles better) than the mainstream ones with Fabio on the cover and way too much heavy breathing on the inside. When I finish, I'll let you know what I think.

Now head on over to Jessica's to see what the rest of the gang is reading.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am looking forward to your review. A Catholic romance novel sounds like a fun diversion.
    Praying that you have a fun and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! It sure is nice to "see" you around these parts. :)

      Delete
  2. OOOOH! So jealous! That book looks delectable! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to starting it! As soon as I strap on my seatbelt and say my pre-flight prayers. :)

      Delete