Thursday, January 29, 2015

T-Shirt Blankets for My Boys


This past Christmas, I decided to give each of my five boys a special, personalized gift--one that wouldn't cost all that much in dollars, but would be priceless in a different way.

I spent hours web-surfing, looking for a place to have t-shirt quilts professionally made (something I've actually wanted to do for them for a long time now), using cast-offs from their schoolboy days that I still had stashed away in piles all over the house; but then I decided that I wanted to tackle these quilts on my own.  It wasn't so much that I was bothered by the high cost of having someone else create these one-of-a-kind gifts for my boys; it was more that I simply wanted to, as my oldest son used to say in his toddler years, "do it my own self."

I can sew, but I'm no quilter; so the ones I made are technically t-shirt blankets rather than quilts (with no fluffy batting inside, just backed with cotton sheeting).

I spent a great deal of time on--and had a great deal of fun with--the making of these gifts, and I infused them with something a random on-line seamstress couldn't: immeasurable amounts of a mother's love for her now-grown sons.  I think my boys liked them, if the smiles in the following pictures are any indication.




It felt good to make use of close to 150 old t-shirts for this project--some of them still bearing indelible, ground-in dirt stains from football practices long ago.

Even though I used so many up to make these blankets, I still have lots of leftover t-shirts that I ought to give to Goodwill but can't part with quite yet.  But at least the piles have gotten smaller since Christmas!

Here are some photos from the trenches, as I plugged away at this daunting (at first) but ultimately rewarding DIY project.






All I can say is, phew, I finished! With all that was going on this past fall (the birth of a grandson in October, and in November, the wedding of a son and the publication of a new book--not to mention lots and lots of travel), I wasn't sure I was going to have the blankets completed and under the tree on Christmas day.  But in early December, I stitched my last seam...and then my poor, overworked sewing machine up and died on me.  The old girl was a real trooper and managed to keep chugging along, although I could tell she was straining towards the end.  And now I'm either going to have to get her motor fixed or buy a whole new machine.

It was all worth it, though, for this:

11 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! And you might be able to hang on to the other shirts and find a way to use them - I've seen tutorials about upcycling old t-shirts into nightgowns for little girls, and I bet your granddaughters would love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea!!! I hadn't thought of that!

      I can't seem to get rid of them all, so I guess I'll start researching new projects. Thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete
  2. Those are awesome! And you might be able to hang on to the other shirts and find a way to use them - I've seen tutorials about upcycling old t-shirts into nightgowns for little girls, and I bet your granddaughters would love those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I think that is a great idea! I like Rosie' s suggestion, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already gone on-line to find some of those tutorials, and it got me excited to make nighties for my granddaughters. :)

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic gift!!
    My that's a lot of shirts! Love Rosie's idea, probably other similar ideas too if you google around

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! My sons (all young men now) have hundreds of t-shirts that they don't wear and won't let me give them away or throw them away. Since I have no sewing skills, I wonder...what would you charge? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so great! I wish you would start a business! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I'm not going to do it start a business! (But who knows, maybe I can do it as a special favor for a special person...)

      Delete
  7. Wow, those are great!! What a wonderful gift idea. You did good, momma! Your boys look proud. :)

    ReplyDelete