Sunday, March 12, 2017

My Sunday Best: a Biker Chick Bids Her Old Parish Farewell

I had to join the "My Sunday Best" link-up today, just had to; because this is a Sunday like no other: it is the last Sunday Mass my husband and I will attend at our longtime parish in NH (at least until we come back for a visit), because we're closing on our house here on St. Patty's Day and moving to VA right afterward.

If you've been here before, you know all about the big move.  But if you're new, here's the deal, in a nutshell: my husband and I are selling the home where we've lived for 26-plus years and raised our five sons, and leaving the town we moved to 27 years ago when our oldest boy was halfway through kindergarten, so that we can live closer to some of our kids and grandkids.  It's a tough break to make, but it's going to be so wonderful for us and for our family once we rip off the Band-Aid.

It's ridiculously cold here this morning.  (In fact, we had a pipe freeze and burst last night in our basement, which is of course just the thing you want to happen when you're trying to pack up your things to move!)  I think perhaps God is trying to help us to get over our sadness about leaving what we thought might be our "forever home," because I have to say that I won't miss New England winters!  I mean, don't even get me started; because our movers are coming Tuesday and Wednesday, and that's exactly when a huge snowstorm is supposed to hit us.  After a mild, relatively snowless winter, we're going to get pounded with the white stuff on the very days the moving truck is in our driveway.  AAAGGGHHH!!!

But anyway, on to what I wore for Mass.  Shockingly, it was not a black skirt and black tights with a sweater--my usual uniform.  Here's what I wore, an ensemble that my husband (and good-natured fashion photographer) called my "tough biker chick look."
As you can see, the packing is well underway.
I guess if you wear a jean jacket (even a nice soft one from the LL Bean outlet, without any Hell's Angels-style embroidery on it) and leather boots (even if they're rather ladylike riding boots from a JC Penny after-season clearance sale), that makes you look like a biker chick.  Sure it does.
I got these boots, regularly priced at $130, for $9.97
(At that price, I decided I needed a pair in black, too!) 
I've had them for years now.
Without the jacket, the dress is decidedly not biker chick attire--no matter what my husband says.  It's a faux-wrap knit dress from Dress Barn (clearance, of course), with awesome belly-hiding ruching at the waist.  The sleeves are elbow-length, which I love.  I thought it was a good choice today, because although the photo doesn't do the color justice, it's a nice Lenten deep purple with taupe polka-dots.
I doubt anyone would choose to wear this dress while
riding her hog.
We met up with one of our neighbors, who moved onto our street shortly before we did in 1990, outside of church, and he hugged us and got a little misty-eyed talking about our move.  It still seems a bit surreal.

I mean, it seems like only yesterday that we were moving in and making this place feel like home.  One of the first things I did in this house was to use a stencil to paint a couple of pineapples on the walls in the foyer, since the pineapple has historically been considered an American symbol of warmth and welcome.  Last night, I found the very stencil I used all those years ago, hiding out of sight on top of a metal shelf in our basement workshop.  I decided to bring it down to VA with me, and one of the first things I plan to do when I get there is to paint a pineapple on one of the walls near the front door. 
Speaking of welcomes...I have put together a welcome basket for the new owners.  (Full disclosure: in it are two unopened bottles of red wine that we already had, and an unused Yankee candle in a glass jar that we already had as well.)  I put a letter in the basket, too...

Hey, you know what?  That's a story for another post.  Come back tomorrow and I'll tell you all about that letter.

For now, though, head on over to Rosie's a blog for my mom for more stylish (and less biker chick-ish) Sunday ensembles.

16 comments:

  1. I love your outfit. It must be so hard to say goodbye to your parish family, but the joy is discovering a new parish family and the potential to see your actual family at Mass! It's supposed to snow here today/tomorrow. I will keep you in my prayers especially this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how hard it must have been to attend Mass and say goodbye after all these years! Think leaving all the people of your town would be the hardest part of your move.
    What a steal those boots were. How lovely to leave a package for the new owners, keen to hear what was in the letter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird leaving a town filled with so many people who've known our boys since they were little guys...that's hard!

      Delete
  3. You look great! Love the outfit the boots! And I love the pineapple!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always a good cheerleader. Thank you! XO

      Delete
  4. Great outfit! Praying for you and your family as you go through this big change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You looked super cute today - with a little bit of edge (even if it isn't a biker jacket)! You also looked comfy, which is a must when working on packing.

    I absolutely love you found your pineapple stencil, and plan to use it in the new home. Such a beautiful, sentimental treasure. I read a military blogger once talk about taking a pineapple to new neighbors when they move into the neighborhood - for the same reason or warmth and hospitality. Shame I didn't know that when we lived in Hawaii.

    I pray your family has a smooth move. Also, that the movers care enough for your things to cover them as they move from home to truck. Such a bittersweet time in your life, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sentimental--repeating things we did in our old house when we move into our new one will make it feel more like "ours."

      Delete
  6. Love those polka dots! One of my favorite patterns 😍😍😍 You look great! Hope the move goes well this week 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your outfit! Groovy biker chick! ;) I can't imagine how hard this must be for you and your husband. The longest I've ever lived in one place was ten years. You are starting a whole new, exciting chapter of your lives. I'm so excited for y'all! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groovy! How great to see that word from my youth! :0

      Delete
  8. Those boots are fantastic! I just got my first pair two Christmases ago, and I love them. I also like your dress. I'm a sucker for whimsical patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boots were one of the best deals I ever got!

      Delete